Iowa Movie Theatre Relief Program
COVID-19 Funding Programs
AN EXTENSION OF THE IOWA SMALL BUSINESS RELIEF GRANT PROGRAM
The Iowa Movie Theatre Relief Grant is an extension of the Iowa Small Business Relief Grant Program and will provide short-term relief to eligible movie theatres for the purpose of continuing or resuming business operations in the context of a public health emergency and to assist entities to accelerate and restore economic activity amid the current COVID-19 public health emergency. This statewide program is offered through the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA). Applications for this program are now closed.
Theatres in Iowa showing films open to all ages are eligible for $10,000 per movie screen.
Recipients may use the funds for short-term cash flow assistance to continue operations. Any other use of the funds, including paying debts incurred prior to March 1, 2020, is not permitted.
List of Awards [PDF]
Will funds received through a state COVID-19 relief program be taxed as income?
Iowa Small Business Relief Grants have been granted state tax exemption by the Iowa legislature. More information will be forthcoming as guidance becomes available in regard to state taxes for other COVID-19 relief programs. Please reference the Internal Revenue Service Guidance for information on federal taxes as they relate to COVID-19 relief funds.
To be eligible for a grant, the applicant must demonstrate that it:
- Operates movie screen(s) in Iowa showing films open to all ages
- Conducted regularly scheduled screenings in Iowa in Calendar Year 2019
- Was subject to limitations or restrictions described in a Proclamation of Disaster Emergency issued by Governor Kimberly K. Reynolds on or after March 17, 2020, or it has not been able to host screenings in Iowa between March 17, 2020, and the submission date of the application for assistance through the Fund
- Incurred revenue loss in Calendar Year 2020 due to the pandemic as compared with Calendar Year 2019
Theatres with corporate ownership based outside of Iowa, with additional screens outside of Iowa, must use this grant for their Iowa-based screens and/or operations.
How Do I Apply?
- A link to the online application will be emailed to theatre owners on Monday, November 9. Theatre owners who do not receive the email should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications were accepted starting Monday, November 9, until 5 p.m. CST November 16, 2020. Applications are now closed.
- Applications may only be submitted using the online application form.
- Submissions received after 5 p.m. CST November 16, 2020, will not be reviewed or considered for funding.
- Applications will be reviewed in the order in which they are received.
- Assistance will be made as a one-time payment in the form of a check issued by IEDA and mailed to the applicant at the address set out in the application. All decisions are final agency action.