Designing the Downtown Experience
June 27, 2023
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Mount Vernon - United Methodist Church, 304 1st Street SW
The Iowa Downtown Resource Center is offering four interactive downtown forums June 26 - 29 for Iowa communities interested in learning more about streetscape improvements, how to fund them, creating good pedestrian experiences and wayfinding signage.
- 10:00 a.m. | Introduction
- 10:15 a.m. | Why bother? How can design impact the success of my downtown and community?
- 10:30 a.m. | 10 things to consider when creating the downtown pedestrian experience: street trees, business signage, dressing up vacant windows, etc.
- 11:30 a.m. | Making your blah streetscape (and public spaces) something to be proud of - an interactive activity using photos of your downtown. Attendees are encouraged to upload (preferred) or bring pictures of your streetscapes, sidewalks, intersections and downtown public areas. Be sure to include the name of your community in the file name if you upload pictures.
- 12:00 p.m. | Lunch (on your own) - attendees are encouraged to go in groups and network. The host community will also offer a short downtown walking tour.
- 2:00 p.m. | Discussion - an opportunity to critique host community's downtown. What was cool? What could have been cooler? Also, a time to share good things happening in your downtown.
- 2:45 p.m. | Finding downtown - wayfinding: signs, murals, public art, and social media.
- 3:30 p.m. | Funding projects - conversation about funding cool public improvement projects.
- 4:00 p.m. | Adjourn