Iowa Apprenticeship Programs
Training Employees Through Apprenticeships
There are more than 1,000 occupations eligible for apprenticeship training grants, from accounting specialists to nurses. Registered Apprenticeships are a proven approach to preparing workers for in-demand jobs and meeting the needs of business for a highly skilled workforce that can innovate and adapt. Iowa is committed to supporting Registered Apprenticeship Programs and increasing the number of registered apprentices in Iowa by providing training grants through the Iowa Apprenticeship Act (15B) and the Iowa Registered Apprenticeship Development Fund (15C).
- Once awarded, recipients provide details of expenses related to the Apprenticeship Program and will be reimbursed for expenses up to the grant amount
- Applicants cannot receive both grants in the same fiscal year; awards can only be made to sponsors for one grant program per fiscal year
- Awards must be used for conducting and maintaining an apprenticeship training program
- Funds cannot be applied toward pre-apprenticeship program expenses
- Only Registered Apprenticeship programs meeting DOL/OA specific requirements and standards are eligible
- 15B – Any active Iowa Registered Apprenticeship program is eligible to apply for funds annually. Applicant must be a sponsor or lead sponsor (trade, labor or employee organization or other incorporated entity representing a group of registered apprenticeship sponsors)
- 15C - Only active Registered Apprenticeship programs with less than 20 apprentices in a high-demand occupation created or added to an existing Registered Apprenticeship program in the prior calendar year are eligible to apply (high-demand occupations determined by the Iowa Workforce Board).
- Applicant must be a sponsor or lead sponsor (trade, labor or employee organization or other incorporated entity representing a group of registered apprenticeship sponsors)
How Do I Apply?
- Information requested is based on the applicant’s Registered Apprenticeship Program data from the prior calendar year (January 1 – December 31)
- Application window is January 1 – February 1; applications must be received on or before February 1
- Eligible applicants may apply online: