Butchery Innovation and Revitalization Program
Assisting the Expansion, Renovation & Establishment of Butchery Facilities
The Butchery Innovation and Revitalization Fund was passed by the 2021 Iowa Legislature and signed into law by Governor Kim Reynolds on June 9, 2021. The authorization includes $750,000 appropriated by the State of Iowa and administered by the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA). The fund will provide financial assistance in the form of grants to businesses for projects relating to small-scale meat processing, licensed custom lockers and mobile slaughter units.
IEDA is not currently accepting applications for this grant program. Final program details are under development. Application information will be available in October 2021.
- Expanding, refurbishing or establishing one of the following types of business:
- State- or federally-inspected small-scale meat processing
- Licensed custom locker
- Mobile slaughter unit
- Renting or purchasing buildings, refrigeration facilities, freezer facilities or equipment necessary to expand processing capacity.
- Maximum amount of grant award to a business shall not exceed $50,000
- Matching financial support on a one-to-one basis in the form of cash will be required
- Must be obtained from private sources
Who Qualifies?Businesses applying for the grant program must meet all requirements outlined in House File 857 and in the administrative rules. Requirements include that a business must be:
- Incorporated or authorized to do business in Iowa
- Employ less than fifty (50) individuals
- An establishment that holds a current license from the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) OR an establishment that documents it is actively working with IDALS to obtain a license (per IDALS/Meat and Poultry Inspection Service, Iowa Code section 189A)
How Do I Apply?IEDA is not currently accepting applications for this grant program. Final program details are under development.
Instructions on how to apply will be available here on the IEDA website (expected October 2021).
Approval will be based on eligibility and scoring.