International Financial Assistance
Iowa's Global Presence
INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
The Iowa Economic Development Authority’s (IEDA) International Trade Office (ITO) has programs to support export efforts of eligible small businesses in Iowa. Programs are funded in part through a grant from the U.S. Small Business Administration’s (SBA) State Trade Expansion Program (STEP) Grant program.
Market Trade Assistance Program (MTAP)
Projects involving a third-party providing any of the below services. Eligible companies may receive one grant in each category per funding period (current funding period ends September 29, 2021). Applications must be received at least two weeks prior to the start of the project and completed by end of funding period.
- A (Cap = $6,000)
- Website translation, search engine optimization and localization
- Design, translation and localization of brochure(s)/product information (i.e. foreign market compliant labels, packaging, technical manuals/documents)
- Design, translation and localization of all forms and channels of social media
- Design of digital international ad placements
- Design/translation of marketing media, including audio/video
- Required Compliance Testing of existing product for entry into an export market
- B (Cap = $6,000)
- International attorney fees for trademark registration, foreign sales/distributor contracts
- Consultant services to identify and meet regulatory and certification standards of existing product for entry into an export market (i.e. CE, CCC, CUL, etc.)
- Consultant services provided by IEDA selected contractors in Australia, South Korea and select African markets – services equivalent to those offered by IEDA in-country representatives
- C (Cap = $10,000)
- Design and develop websites with an international focus
- Oversight and maintenance/monitoring fee for search engine optimization
- Online market listing fees
- E-commerce platform, including hosting and/or maintenance fees (limited to once per calendar year)
- Expenses to set up websites to accept international payments
Export Trade Assistance Program (ETAP)
Exhibiting at a trade show or participating in an IEDA trade mission outside the U.S.; includes events moved to virtual.
Domestic Trade Assistance Program (DTAP)
Exhibiting at an international trade show in the U.S.
- Cap = $4,000 per grant
- Companies may receive up to three grants in a funding period (combined ETAP and DTAP).
- Maximum of two times for the same show (temporarily suspended for shows that moved to virtual).
- DTAP eligible events: Must have proven significant international attendance.
Participate in the ExporTech™ program through the Center for Industrial Research and Service.
- Cap = $2,500
- Grant reimbursements calculated at 75% (exception: per diem is 50% for travel) of actual eligible expense, up to maximum allowed amount)
- ETAP/DTAP Eligible Expenses:
- Booth space/virtual booth
- Booth furnishings rental
- Booth construction and utilities
- Shipping to and from event
- Per diem for one representative
- Ineligible expenses examples: printing, purchased equipment, airfare, memberships/sponsorships, registration fees
Iowa value-added food/wood companies may qualify for services offered through our membership with Food Export of the Midwest.
Funded in part through a grant with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- For-profit companies operating in Iowa to process, manufacture, add value to product and/or distribute a product or provide an exportable service.
- Meet SBA “Eligible Small Business Concern” size guidelines sba.gov/size.
- Provide certification demonstrating company is not debarred from federal funding.
- Be new to exporting, focusing on a new international market or have a new product to promote to the international market.
- Review full list of eligibility and qualified expenses on the Financial Assistance Fact Sheet
How Do I Apply?
- Applications must be received by the IEDA at least 45 days in advance of an event
- Program availability subject to annual funding allocation
- Review and follow detailed application instructions and required documentation found in the International Grant Application System Instructions [pdf]
- Certification Debarment
- Certification Small Business Concern
- International Financial Assistance Fact Sheet
- International Financial Assistance FAQ
- International Grant Application System Instructions
- Iowa Exporter ID
- Iowa Exporter ID Usage
- Iowa Trade Resources
- Terms and Conditions of International Trade Office Financial Assistance Programs