Rural Iowa AmeriCorps Program
Rural Iowa AmeriCorps Program
The Center for Rural Revitalization recognizes the needs of rural Iowa are community specific. Each community finds unique solutions to enhance the quality of life for their residents and visitors. These solutions improve community health, retain local talent, attract new residents, and build a sense of place. The Rural Iowa AmeriCorps Program will partner with 501(c), government or tribal organizations, K-12 schools, institutes of higher education or faith-based organizations to enroll AmeriCorps members to support quality programming and spaces that encourage people to live, work, play, and engage in vibrant rural places. Contact AmeriCorps program staff for information on how to apply to be a host site.
Benefits of Rural Iowa AmeriCorps Positions:
- Living Allowance | AmeriCorps members receive the living allowance associated with their term of service. The living allowance is paid in equal increments across the term of service. Members receive payment every other week via direct deposit.
- Education Award | AmeriCorps members receive a Segal Education Award when a term is successfully completed. The education award can be used to repay qualified student loans or toward current educational expenses at eligible institutions. AmeriCorps members aged 55 or older can transfer the education award to a child or grandchild.
- Other Benefits | Student loan deferment, forbearance or forgiveness opportunities are available depending on the type of student loan. It is the member's responsibility to obtain information about whether their loan(s) qualify for this benefit. This is not an automatic benefit of the program. Childcare assistance is available for eligible members serving full time.
AmeriCorps Terms of Service Details 2023-2024 Program Year
|Term of Service||Service Hours||Service Weeks||Weekly Hours (minimum)||Living Allowance||Education Award||Last Enrollment Date|
|Reduced Half Time||675||36||20||$8,451||$2,626||December 4, 2023|
|Quarter Time||450||24||20||$5,625||$1,824||March 11, 2024|
|Quarter Time||450||16||30||$5,625||$1,824||May 6, 2024|
|Minimum Time||300||10||30||$3,750||$1,459||June 17, 2024|
- Must be 18 years of age or older by start date
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, or be in process of completion
- Must be either a citizen, national or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States
- Must pass mandatory pre-service background checks
How Do I Apply?If you meet the following qualifications and characteristics, apply below to become a Rural Iowa AmeriCorps member.
- Willingness and ability to work as a team member, provide support, communicate clearly, ask for guidance when needed and admit mistakes
- Ability to handle responsibility, make decisions and problem-solve
- Emotional maturity, situational awareness and comfort taking broad direction
- Flexibility and capacity to take initiative