Iowa Reinvestment Districts
Assisting Communities with Transformative Projects
The Iowa Reinvestment District Program is designed to assist communities in developing transformative projects that will improve the quality of life, create and enhance unique opportunities and substantially benefit the community, region and state.
The program provides for up to $100 million in new state hotel/motel and sales tax revenues to be “reinvested” within approved districts. Districts cannot exceed 75 acres in size and must be in an Urban Renewal Area.
Applying for the Iowa Reinvestment District Program
Municipalities can apply for the funds. An eligible project within an Iowa Reinvestment District is a vertical improvement constructed or substantially improved within a district. Operations located outside of the district are not eligible. Buildings that are in whole, or in part, used to conduct gambling, or a hotel or motel connected to, or operated in conjunction with, a gambling facility are not eligible.
The application process has two phases. The pre-application must be submitted within the annual filing window of February 22 – 25, 2021. In the pre-application submittal, the applicant should provide as much of the requested information as possible. The pre-application process is designed to allow applicants to make reasonable changes to the proposed district plan before the final application is considered. The pre-applications will be scored and provisional approval made by the IEDA Board. The provisional funding decision is designed to provide practical feedback for municipalities interested in creating a reinvestment district, but is not final or binding. Following the provisional approval, application materials will be placed on the Authority’s website within 10 days for public viewing.
Upon formal approval by the IEDA Board, a municipality may adopt an ordinance or resolution to establish a reinvestment district. The Iowa Department of Revenue is charged with collecting the tax revenues used to fund projects under the program.
- Uniqueness: 25 points
- Economic impact: 25 points
- Project feasibility: 10 points
- Capital investment: 10 points
- Funding leverage: 10 points
- Nonretail focus: 10 points
- Additional factors: 10 points (readiness for development, geographic diversity, and funding need)
- Reinvestment District cannot exceed 75 acres in size
- At least one of the new proposed projects within the district must reach a total capital investment of $10 million
- District must be in an Urban Renewal Area
- District plans must include tax revenues generated by new retail establishments and new lessors
- New retail establishments cannot exceed 50% of the total proposed capital investment
- Total amount of new tax revenue to be remitted to the municipality cannot exceed 35% of the total cost of all proposed projects in the district plan
- Eligible project within a Reinvestment District is a vertical improvement constructed or substantially improved within a district
- Buildings that are in whole, or in part, used to conduct gambling or a hotel or motel connected to, or operated in conjunction with a gambling facility are not eligible
How Do I Apply?
- Contact IEDA for an application form
- Submit a pre-application during the annual filing window. The next filing window is February 22-25, 2021
- Pre-applications will be scored and provisional awards approved by the IEDA Board
- Following the provisional approval, application materials will be placed on IEDA's website within 10 days for public viewing
- The applicant may amend any part of the pre-application to represent any change to the proposed projects within the district
- Final application materials are due prior to the next year’s application filing window
- Final application will be re-scored in the same manner as the pre-application, if changes are made
- Board’s final funding decision may be different from the provisional funding decision based on the final application
Reinvestment District Application Technical Assistance Webinar