Community Development Block Grant
Assisting Communities in Providing Available & Affordable Housing
This program assists communities with preserving existing housing stock and creating new housing opportunities. Eligible housing activities include:
- Owner occupied housing rehabilitation
- Homebuyer assistance
- Upper story housing conversion
Owner occupied rehabilitation is focused on three areas of improvement: Energy efficiency, exterior improvements and the removal of architectural barriers to allow aging in home. The maximum award amount is $24,999 per unit plus lead hazard reduction & technical services.
The Homebuyer assistance program provides down payment and closing cost assistance to low and moderate income homebuyers. The maximum award amount is $24,999 per unit plus lead hazard reduction & technical services.
The Upper story housing conversion program provides assistance for the conversion of existing downtown building space into new residential units. The maximum award under this program is $500,000.
- Projects must primarily benefit low- and moderate income persons (per the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development definition)
- Non-entitlement cities and counties are eligible applicants.
How Do I Apply?
- Applications for rehabilitation and homebuyer assistance are accepted on an ongoing basis as funds are available.
- Upper story housing applications are due on July 31, 2020. If funds are available after this date, additional application rounds may be announced.
- Visit iowagrants.gov for application instructions and to apply for funds.
- Administrative Plan Template - Homebuyer Assistance
- Administrative Plan Template - Rehabilitation Programs
- Architectural Barrier Removal Eligible & Ineligible Activities
- Architectural Barrier Removal Program Guidance
- Energy Efficiency Improvements - Window & Door Selection Guide
- Energy Efficiency Improvements Eligible Activities
- Energy Efficiency Improvements Program Guidance
- Exterior Home Improvements - Window & Door Selection Guide
- Exterior Home Improvements Eligible & Ineligible Activity Checklist
- Exterior Home Improvements Program Guidance
- Homebuyer & Housing Sustainability Application Review Form
- Homebuyer Assistance Program Guidance
- Housing Program FAQs
- Upper Story Housing - Application Review & Scoring Sheet
- Upper Story Housing Program Guidance
Housing Sustainability Awards
View a map of the communities awarded Housing Sustainability funds and an outline of the projects funded.